As well as being able to describe the wide variety of uses of technology in the modern world, children should also be taught about their impact too. This means that they need to be able to evaluate both their positive and negative effects on people and the environment.
The perceived benefits of technology are regularly questionned on news websites such as the children's site BBC Newsround and current debates could be discussed in lessons. For example:
- Should children be stopped from using technology close to bedtime in case it affects their sleep?
- Should children not use any Internet communication services in case they are cyber-bullied?
- Should calculators be banned in maths lessons?
- Should children limit their use of mobile phones?
- Which is better - paper books or e-books?
It can also be valuable to discuss what the term 'digital divide' means and how some people who want to use technology can't do because of a number of different reasons.